Professor of Geography
- Office: Ely Hall 119
- Office hours: Tuesdays 1:30-4:00pm
- Phone: 437-5543
- Box: 465
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
B.S., M.S., Geography and Urban and Regional Planning, Peking University, P.R. China.
Ph.D., Geography, University of Minnesota, 1995
Yu Zhou received Bachelor and Master's degree from Department of Regional and Environmental Sciences (formerly Geography) in Peking University, China, and received Ph.D. in geography from University of Minnesota in 1995. Her current research is on globalization and high-tech industry in China, especially Beijing's Zhongguancun region, the so-called China's Silicon Valley. She has done research in the areas of ethnic business, gender and ethnic communities, and transnational business networks. In 2008, she was selected as one of the twenty Public Intellectual Fellows by the National Committee on US-China Relations. She has been interviewed by New York Times, Washington Post and others.
- Book: The inside story of China’s high-tech industry: making “Silicon Valley” in Beijing. Rowman and Littlefield Publisher. 2008
- Yu Zhou, Jinn-Yuh Hsu, 2011. Divergent engagements: roles and strategies of Taiwanese and mainland Chinese returnees entrepreneurs in the IT industry. Global Networks, 11(3) 398-411.
- Yu Zhou, Yehua Dennis Wei, 2011, Globalization Innovation adn regional development in China, Gest editorial in the special issue for Environment and Planning A 43: 781-785.
- Yu Zhou; Yifei Sun; Y. H. Dennis Wei; George C. S. Lin, 2009. De-centering 'spatial fix'--patterns of territorialization and regional technological dynamism of ICT hubs in China. Journal of Economic Geography 2010. Pp. 1-32
- Zhou, Yu, “Synchronizing export orientation with import substitution: creating competitive indigenous high-tech Companies in China,” World Development. Vol. 36, No. 11, Nov. 2008, 2353-2370.
- Zhou, Yu , Dec. 2007 China’s High Tech Industry and the World Economy: Zhongguancun Park, Japan Focus, a leading electronic journal of Japan and Asian Studies. http://www.japanfocus.org/products/details/2661.
- Zhou, Yu and Yifei Sun, 2006: Introduction: Mediating state and market in China’s competitive high technology industry , Special issue of China review.Vol. 6(1): 1-8.
- Zhou, Yu 2006, State and Commercial Enterprises in China’s Technical Standard Strategies, special issue of China review, Vol. 6(1): 37-66.
- Zhou, Yu 2005. The making of an innovative region from a centrally planned economy: Institutional evolution in Zhongguancun Science Park in Beijing, Environmental and Planning A 37: 1113-1134.
- Zhou, Yu and Xin Tong, 2003, Interaction Between Multinational Corporations and Domestic Firms in a High-Tech Service Cluster in Beijing, Economic Geography 79(2): 129-152.
- Li,Wei Gary Dymski, Yu Zhou, Carolyn Aladaba and Maria Chee, 2002 Chinese American Banking and Community in Los Angeles County: The Financial Sector and Chinatown/Ethnoburb Development, Annals of American Geographers 92(4): 777-796
- Li,Wei Yu Zhou, Gary Dymski, and Maria Chee, 2001. Banking on Social Capital in the Era of Globalization: Chinese Ethnobanks in Los Angeles, Environment and PlanningA Vol. 33: 1923-1948.
- Zhou, Yu and Yen-Fen Tseng, 2001, Regrounding the “Ungrounded Empires ”-Localization as the geographical catalyst for transnationalism. Global Network 1(2):131-154.
- Zhou, Yu 2000. The fall of “the other half of the sky?” -contemporary experiences of Mainland Chinese immigrant women in New York City. Women's Studies International Forum 23(4): 445-459.
- Zhou, Yu 1999. Beijing and the development of dual central business districts, Geographical Review (88)3: 429-436.
- Brian Godfrey and Yu Zhou, 1999. Ranking world cities: Multinational corporations and global urban hierarchy. Urban Geography 20(3): 268-281.
- Zhou, Yu 1998. How do places matter: A comparative study of Chinese communities in Los Angeles and New York City. Urban Geography, 19(6): 531-553.
- Zhou, Yu 1998. “Beyond Enclaves: Location strategies of Chinese producer service firms in Los Angeles.” Economic Geography, 74(3): 228-251.
- Zhou, Yu 1996. “Firm Linkages, Ethnic Networks and Territorial Agglomeration: Chinese computer firms in Los Angeles.” Papers in Regional Science, Vol. 75(3): 265-291.
- Zhou, Yu, “The migration of Chinese professionals: and the development of the Chinese ICT industry.” Diasporas in the New Media Age: Identity, Politics and Community., edited by Andoni Alonso and Pedro J. Oiarzabal, University of Nevada Press.
- Zhou Y. (2009). High-Tech Industry. In Kitchin R, Thrift N (eds) International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Volume 1, pp. 122-127.Oxford: Elsevier
- Zhou, Yu 2004, Chinese immigrants in the global economy. Chapter 3 in Migration: A global view. Edited by Maura I. Toro-Morn and Marixsa Alicea, Greenwood’s World View of Social Issues Series. pp.35-52.
- Zhou, Yu 2002. New York: Caught under the fashion runway—Immigrant enterprises in the garment industry of New York Book chapter in Unravelling the Rag Trade-Immigrant entrepreneurship in seven world cities, edited Jan Roth. Oxford, UK: Berg Publishers. P113-134.
- Jici Wang and Yu Zhou, 2001. 北京中关村电子信息产业的企业集群分析 (Analysis of Beijing Zhongguancun information technology firms regional cluster), Ch. 6-6 in 创新的空间：企业集群与区域发展 (Innovative spaces: enterprises clusters and regional development). Beijing: Peking University Press. P. 220-233.
- Tseng Yen-Fen and Yu Zhou. 2001. Immigrant Economy in a Pacific Rim Context: Chinese businesses in Los Angeles. Book chapter in The Chinese Triangle of Mainland-Taiwan-Hong Kong: Comparative Institutional Analyses. Edited by Alvion Y. So, Nan Lin, Dudley Poston, West port, CN: Greenwood.
- Zhou, Yu 2000 “Bridging the continents: the roles of Los Angeles Chinese producer services in the globalisation of Chinese business.” Book chapter in The Globalisation of Chinese Business Firms, edited by Henry Wai-Chung Yeung and Kris Olds, London: Macmillan Press Ltd. pp167-194.
- Yu Zhou, "What exactly happened in Copenhagen?" The China Beat, A popular Blog site on China, Jan 4, 2010.
- Yu Zhou, "Huiyuan: My "nationalistic" juice" The China Beat, A popular Blog site on China, March. 25 2009.
- Yu Zhou, "Can China go high-tech when exports slump?" The China Beat, A popular Blog site on China. Mar. 12 2009. http://thechinabeat.blogspot.com/2009/03/can-china-go-high-tech-when-exports.html
- Yu Zhou, "One City, One Dream," Vassar: The Alumnae/I Quarterly, p. 64. http://www.aavc.vassar.edu/vq/articles/LastP_Winter2008.
- Yu Zhou, The Miscellany News, Sept. 9, 2008. "Online Exclusive: Geography professor reflects on her experiences at the Beijing Olympics." http://www.miscellanynews.com/online_exclusive_geography_professor_reflects_on_her_experiences_at_the_beijing_olympics
Yu Zhou, Jan. 2009. China in Waiting, Blog interview for SSRC. http://www.ssrc.org/features/questions/yuzhou/.